Bac Can Travel Guide
Bac Can is a mountainous region in the northern part of Vietnam with many untouched natural sceneries of endless primitive forest with precious flora and fauna. Thousands type of mineral can also be found in this province beside a bunch of interesting sights that attract tourists every year: Ba Be National Park, Dau Dang Waterfall, Puong Cave.
There are also many traces and relics from the revolution of Vietnam in the 1940s. ATK, a complex of underground tunnels, is one of the most well-known destinations among these sights. In addition to these tourist magnets, Bac Kan is also famous for the many traditional festivals of the ethnic groups residing there.
The best time to visit Bac Can
The best time to travel to Bac Kan is between February and April. Due to this period of time in Bac Kan has normal and comfortable weather with cool and dry atmosphere.
How to get Bac Can
Bac Can is far about 220km away Hanoi, so sleeper bus is the best choice for all travelers if they want to travel from Hanoi to Bac Can. There is few local sleepers and seats bus from Hanoi to Bac Can and vice versa daily. Tourist can take a bus at My Dinh Bus Station, cost $ 5-7/ Turn and last 3.5- 4 hours.
What to see in Bac Can
Ba Be Lake is the biggest one in the Northern of Viet Nam with 8 kilometers long, 3 kilometers wide, and 20m -30m deep and narrow in the middle. This is among the largest natural lakes in Vietnam with a total surface area of 500ha. The best time for visitors in Vietnam travel to visit the area is during the dry season, which is during winter and spring.
Further reading: Ba Be Lake
Pac Ngoi Village
Pac Ngoi Village is located on the slope of mountains which surround Ba Be Lake with more than 40 traditional stilt houses which emphasizing the beauty of this famous ecotourism destination.
Visitors coming to Pac Ngoi are not only entitled to witness with their naked eyes the most wonderful scenery of Northern Vietnam: a plethora of austere yet interesting stilt houses blending themselves with the glimmering mist and the shinning Ba Be Lakes, but also to stay in the rhythm of the Tay culture.
Fairy grotto is a beautiful natural spot locating at the Phja Trang mountain range is- longing to Luong Ha commune, Na Ri district, Bac Kan Province and far about 5 km from Yen Lac town. Fairy Grotto has appeared naturally for a long time
Ba Be National Park is located 250 km away from Hanoi and 70 km away from Bac Kan’s center, Ba Be National Park belongs to Ba Be district in Bac Kan province with a total area of 23.240 ha which houses 417 types of plant and 299 types of animal. There are a plenty of precious and endangered species that inhabit in this region
The park is a complex including lakes, rivers, streams, forests, and caves. Mother Nature loves it too much that she decides to give Ba Be a warm weather in winter and a cool weather in summer so that it can become an ideal destination for people from everywhere to come, admire and cherish in just any season.
ATK Bac Kan
ATK- "An Toan Khu", meaning "safe zone" is constructed during the revolution against the French. This is a complex of underground tunnels and rooms emboldened by a missile defense system in Cho Don (Bac Kan). Coming to ATK in particular and Cho Don in general, tourists can not only visit many historical sites but also learn more about the lives of the local inhabitants, discovering their most beautiful cultural essences which can only be found there
Things to do
- Trekking in Ba Be National Park
- Take a boat trip at Bac Can: will bring all of visitor unforgettable memory about Ba B Lake- top 20 largest lakes in the world
- Biking to enjoy spectacular beauty of valleys, limestone mountain, ethnic minority people village
- Cave exploration- Puong Cave, Hua Ma Cave
- Have a great experience about local life in Bac Can during home stay time.
Local specialty in Bac Can
Photo: Banh Gio
- Quang Thuan – Bac Kan mandarin orange is a famous for a long time with a beautiful outside, thin cover, easy to peel. When the tangerines are ripe, they have bright yellow and slightly sweet and sour flavor.
- Bamboo-tube rice is a unique dish made from rice in many mountainous provinces and Bac Can is not exceptional. It's worth trying this dish when visiting here.
- Banh Gio (Pyramidal Sticky Rice Cake): has been popular in Bac Kan for hundreds of years. Gio cakes are made from an ash of burned trees (there is a special kind of tree to make Gio cake), glutinous rice (it will be more delicious when using aromatic glutinous rice). The content of cakes is wrapped in layers of bamboo leaves. Gio is dipped in condensed cane sugar. Delicious Gio cake must be smooth, tough, and yellow outside