Ca Mau Travel Guide
Ca Mau is situated in the southern tip of Vietnam and surrounded by East Sea on three faces and Kien Giang, Bac Lieu provinces on the north and north-east. This province is considered one of the key fishing ground of the country with different types of seafood and also famous with salt-marsh ecological systems and diversified plants and animals.
The best time to visit
Ca Mau has two distinct seasons: the rainy season and dry season and the best time to visit from November to April.
How to get Ca Mau
By sleeper bus: The most practical route is from Ho Chi Minh City by express bus which takes 7 to 8 hours, 350km from Ho Chi Minh City. Sleeper bus service companies: Phuong Trang, Mai Linh, and Tuan Hung
By Air is another choice if you want to save time: At present having a small airport in Cà Mau Province with flight to Ho Chi Minh City (Tan Son Nhat International Airport, SGN) served by Vietnam Aviation Service Company.
Things to do in Ca Mau
U Minh forest
U Minh forest is a special forest-swamp area in Mekong Delta with the diversity of fauna and flora species, this is also the land with the highest biological productivity among Vietnam’s ecosystems.
U Mịnh forest divided into two sections: U Minh Thuong in Kien Giang Province, U Minh Ha in Ca Mau Province.
Ca Mau Bird Sanctuary
Ca Mau bird sanctuary located in Dam Doi District and about 45km south-east of the Ca Mau City. The bird sanctuary in the heart of Ca Mau city is a special thing rarely seen anywhere. It has become the attractive destination of domestic and international tourists.
Hon Khoai Island
Hon Khoai Island is far 15kilometres from the mainland, located in Ngoc Hien District of Ca Mau Province. The island looks like the shape of a giant potato with many rocky islands, hills and pristine forests include a lot of precious woods, diversity of fauna and stunning scenery.
The cape of Ca Mau
The cape belongs to Ngoc Hien District in Ca Mau Province and 118km away from the center of Ca Mau City. This is the only place in Vietnam where one can see the sun rising in the East and setting in the West. With diversity of species, it is estimated that there are over 240 types of plants, 36 species of animal, 194 species of bird, and 260 species of fish, with many endangered species.
Ca Mau Specialty
If you visit the province of Mekong Delta, don’t forget to try Ca Mau specialty. Following is some recommended dishes for all visitors:
- Rùa Rang Muối: Turtles are processed into a lot of delicious and nutritious dishes. However, turtles roasted with salt are famous. In order to cook this dish, you need to boil them for a few seconds, take them out and clean them. After that, you add salt and wait until you hear the sound of salt.
- Chả Trứng Mực Đât Mũi- Steamed Egg Nose ground level
- Grilled Snakehead Fish: simple, easy making and typical for Southern river area. With distinct flavor, this is one of famous street foods in Vietnam. In Mekong Delta, locals enjoy grilled snakehead fish with tamarind sauce, rolled in rice cakes together with herbs.
- Princess Razor Clams grilled with onion: one of top foods in Ca Mau, it's popularity thanks to its sweet, crunchy but not tough meat.
- Coconut-water-submersed octopus: fresh and tasty specialty that you should try when visiting Ca Mau
If you want to know more about Vietnam Travel Guide and Mekong Delta Region Travel Guide, please click and read here. And don't forget check Vietnam visa requirement to get Vietnam visa before your trip.