Hanoi Travel Guide
Hanoi is the cultural capital of Vietnam and is blending city of East and West. Your trip to Vietnam will not complete if you don’t visit fascinating attractions and marvelous street food. Here is some travel tips about Hanoi:
The best time to travel to Hanoi
Autumn (around September to November) and spring (March and April)
Attractions in Hanoi
- Hanoi Old Quarter- has thirty-six streets and guilds. The best way to experience Hanoi Old Quarter is on foot by walking street to street and taking in the locals' daily life, visit the colorful souvenir shops, and trying some delicious foods in Hanoi.
- Hoan Kiem Lake- Lake of the Returned Sword: one of the major scenic spots in Hanoi, Vietnam and serves as a focal point for its public life
- Ngoc Son Temple- Temple of the Jade Mountain
Opening Hours: 08h00 – 17h00/ Entrance fee: VND 10,000/ Adult
- Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum- a large memorial to the Vietnamese leader in Hanoi, Vietnam
Opening Hours: Tuesday to Thursday and weekends from 08:00 – 11:00. Closed on Monday and Friday/ Free entrance fee
- Temple of Literature is a center of learning dedicated to the Chinese sage and scholar Confucius and also the first university of Vietnam. Most of tourists recommend this place as an absolute must see the attraction.
Opening hours: November- March: 8:00am- 17:00pm, others: 7:30am- 18:00pm
Entrance fee: VND 20,000/adult, VND 10,000/ Child
Hanoi is also well-known for museum's city with more than 150 museum. To know more detail about the most and best spots, please read Top 5 attractions of museum in Hanoi
Cuisine- street food in Hanoi
- Pho- Noodle soup is the best enjoyed in Hanoi. Each type of meat entails a variety of sub-dish, using from beef tenderloin to beef brisket, chicken wing to chicken thigh.
Best restaurant in Hanoi: Pho Bat Dan
- Bun Cha Vietnamese dish of grilled pork and noodle, which is thought to have originated from Hanoi, Vietnam. Bun cha is served with grilled fatty pork over a plate of white rice noodle and herbs with a side dish of dipping sauce.
Best restaurant in Hanoi: Đắc Kim (Hang Manh)
- Cha Ca Lã Vọng listed as one of the top 100 things you gotta try before you die by many cuisine experts.It is exquisitely grilled fish served with bún, peanut, green onions, dills and shrimp paste. The fish is carefully chosen so that there are not too many bones and fishy smells
Best restaurant in Hanoi: Cha ca La Vong restaurant on 14 Cha Ca Street
- Banh Cuon is made from steamed crepe from rice flour and water. It contains ground pork, wood-ear and seasoning and usually served with nuoc mam, a mixture of fish sauce, sugar and lime.
Best restaurant in Hanoi: Banh cuon Gia an – Ba Trieu street (opposite to Vincom tower)
- Hanoi’s bia hoi – Hanoi’s beer. You can drink Tet Bar on the northern end of Ta Hien Street to taste the best Hanoi Bia Hoi.
Besides Bia Hoi, you should try Hanoi coffee at least one time if you are in Hanoi. Please check out Café Pho Co-11 Hang Gai, Hanoi; +84 (0)4 3928 8153
Transportation in Hanoi
To get around Hanoi and depending on their own choice:
- Buses: are the cheapest mode of transportation, with VND 7000/pax/way
- Xe Om- “Motorbike taxi”-the best way to experience rush and daily life of Hanoi. But most drivers don’t know English, so it’s difficult to communicate. So you are recommended bringing a pen and paper to write your route, or your destination if you want to travel around Hanoi by Xe Om
- Taxi: is quite cheap in case you choose the right taxi like Mai Linh Taxi (+84 (0)4 3861 6161), Hanoi Taxi (+84 (0)4 3853 5353)
Accommodation in Hanoi
In Hanoi have various type of hotel from budget to luxury. Below is some typical hotel list in Hanoi
- Hanoi Backpacker’s hostel: 48 Ngo Huyen St., Hoan Kiem; +84 (0)4 3828 5372;
- May De Ville Backpackers Hostel: 1 Hai Tuong Lane / 24 Ta Hien Str | Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi 1000, Vietnam
- Atrium Hà Nội Hotel: 32A Đào Duy Từ, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội
- Especen Hà Nội: 28 Thọ Xương, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội
- Hotel Metropole Hanoi: 15 Ngô Quyền, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội
- Intercontinental Hanoi West lake: 1a Nghi Tam, Tay Ho, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Scams: When travelling by any kind of transportation, please check the price first before getting on.
- Take care your property: Visa, passport, money, etc
- Avoid buying souvenir or others from street vendor
- To discover every corner of Hanoi, you can choose a daily tour from reliable and big travel agencies. However, you can join free Hanoi tour with local Hanoi students like Hanoi Kids, Hanoi Free Tour guide.