Dong Hoi Travel Guide
Dong Hoi is the capital city of Quang Binh Province in Central Coast of Vietnam. Dong Hoi on the Nhat Le River and by the South China Sea with its 12 km of white sandy beaches
The best time to visit Dong Hoi
The best time to visit Dong Hoi is in April when the weather is cool and there is no flooding. Please note that you should check carefully the weather in this area during November and December before travel as during this period, the river is prone to flooding; the underground cave may be close. Though it's possible, but also may be dangerous to visit the dry cave.
How to get there
By air: To save time when travelling to Dong Hoi, visitors can take a flight. Dong Hoi Airport is 6 km north of Dong Hoi center with flights to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City
Address: AH14, Lộc Ninh, Đồng Hới City, Quảng Bình, Việt Nam
By train: If you travel to Quang Binh and Dong Hoi particularly, you can take a train and stop at Dong Hoi Train Station. At present, the Reunification Express makes a stop in Dong Hoi. The train station is 3 km from the city center
Address: 4, Phường Nam Lý, Dong Hoi, Quảng Bình Province, Vietnam
By bus: From Hue, local buses take about 3–4 hours and cost VND 100,000- 140,000 departing from the Northern Bus Station. Tourist buses cost much higher: i.e., Sinh Cafe (VND 400,000 / per person), Mandarin Travels (VND 300,000/ per person).
Things to do in Dong Hoi
- Enjoy stunning and spectacular in Nhat Le Beach: the beach is about a 20 min walk from Dong Hoi center. Accordingly, you will find the beach to be generally empty and abandoned, with just a few hotels, construction work, and piles of dirt.
- Discover Phong Nha Cave: a hugely attractive system of caverns 30km away, and recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site
- Visit Paradise Cave: far 45 km northwest of Dong Hoi near the town of Son Trach in the national park. Paradise Cave is a rewarding trip, as it is not touristy and the spotlights are white, not color. The best way to get there is by motorbike as the scenery is amazing.
- Quang Phu Sand: is far Nhat Le Beach from 8 km and is considered one of the most attractive destinations in Dong Hoi Province
- Besides marvelous natural beauty, Dong Hoi is also famous with historical sites like Dong Hoi Citadel, Tam Toa Cathedral, Quang Binh Quan. If you have time, don’t forget those interesting spots.