Mai Chau Travel Tips
Mai Chau is one of the most attractive destinations of Hoa Binh with beautiful landscapes. It is also home of two ethnic groups have relatively large population in Vietnam. They are Muong and Thai people who prefer living in low valley and their life is much based on rice crop, cattles and forest. Coming here travellers will have a chance to learn more about Vietnamese culture as well as to admire picturesque scenery of Vietnam.
When to visit
The best time to visit is from September, October, and November to early December
How to get there
The best and safest way to visit Mai Chau Valley is by bus. It’s far about 135 Km from South west of Hanoi and takes about 2.5-3 hours by bus
With travel around, a bycycle is the best choice to help all travelers discover the beauty and real daily life of Mai Chau
Things to do
- Visiting national caves and grottoes such as Mo Luong Cave, Chieu Cave, Pieng Kem Grotto, and archaeological sites such as Lang Cave and Khau Phuc Cave
- Visit Van Village: its Thai village that 2km from Mai Chau town. It can be reach by bike cycle from your homestay. The village that showing a live museum of daily activities like wine making, embroidery or traditional Thai clothes, customs.
- Trekking tour to remote village - Xo Village and have a great moment with local pepple
Following is some tips what you should know before taking your trip to stunning Vietnam attractions:
- Mai Chau is very safe for travellers; however you have to take care your personal stuffs
- Money: no available ATM in Mai Chau, so please bring Vietnam Dong cash on you.
- Internet connection: You can use 3G network with a Vietnamese Sim card or go to Lac 1 village to access Internet
- Personal Stuffs: passport, clothes, sun-glasses & hat, sun cream, sun-block, insect repellent, flashlights, good shoes, personal first aid kit & medicines, VND for personal expenses
- If you want to buy your personal stuffs like toothbrush, toothpaste, etc, you have to spend about 10-15 minutes on foot or by bicycle.
- Homestay’s facilities don’t have air-conditioning, western toilet.