My Son Sanctuary
My Son sanctuary belongs to Quang Nam province, about 70km southwest of Da Nang and 40 km from Hoi An ancient town. This marvelous sanctuary is declared by UNESCO as a World Heritage site (1999) and the religious center for the mysterious Champa Kingdom
My Son is a Hindu shrine of similar style temples Borobudur (Java, Indonesia), Pagan (Burma), Angkor (Cambodia) and Ayutthaya (Thailand), used to make sacred sacrifices Cham and also as a place of eternal rest of Kings and princesses Cham
How to travel from Hoi An to My Son
To travel from Hoi An to My Son, visitors can choose below mode of transportations:
- By bus: Timetables of the bus are not fixed, usually out of Hoi An at 8:30 am and return 13:30 pm and the bus will pick up passengers at their hotel. With the price is about the USD 3 per person ticket of round-trip
- By motorbike: Tourist can rent a bike all day in Hoi An and move to My Son. The rental price: USD 4/ all day
- By boat: there is no river nearby to My Son, so if visitors want to use a boat from Hoi An to My Son, they have to take other means of transport to move to the sanctuary of My Son after getting off the boat.
- By Taxi: is the most expensive mode of transportation, takes 30 minutes to get to the sanctuary of My Son. The cost is around USD 25 each way depending on your negotiation.
Opening time, entrance fee and the best time to visit My Son
- Opening time daily at 6:30 to 16:30 hours
- Entrance fee: VND60. 000 ~ USD 3 (includes transport by archaeological groups My Son inside)
- The best time to visit: we recommend to visit My Son around 14:00 pm
Things to do in My Son
My Son’s buildings are distributed in 5 different points covering a total of 142 hectares and divided in 10 separate groups named with the letters of the alphabet, where the most important archaeological groups are groups B, C and D.
- Visiting unique Cham-style Art of Architecture group A, B, C and D
- A nostalgic and poetic road which is lined throughout, with rows of towering trees on both sides, eradicates any fatigue of tourists on their return to the starting point
- Enjoy traditional dancing displays
- There's no accommodation available in My Son
- Don't wander too far from the clearly-marked walking tracks between the sites for your personal safe.
- Having numerous Vietnamese style road-side cafes and places for tourists to eat and drink line the road from Hoi An to My Son, however in My Son sanctuary have just little restaurants with a high price and low quality. Travellers also can buy drinks and a few snacks in shop which is inside temple compound. => should prepare food and drinks before your trip to My Son.