Phu Quoc Travel Guide
Phu Quoc is considered “Pearl Island” in the Gulf of Thailand. This island is fairy famous for not only stunning beaches, untouched natural environment, friendly locals, and fantastic scuba diving and snorkeling but also by local specialties
The best time to visit
The best time to travel to this island is September in the dry season (recommended to visit in December- Feb).
How to get there
After only 50 minutes flying from Ho Chi Minh City, you will set foot on Phu Quoc Island.
Airline: Vietjet Air and Vietnam Airlines currently have daily flights from Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi to Phu Quoc
Price: $60-100/ one- way ticket
What to see in Phu Quoc Island
Vinpearl Land is the top Ten World’s best wild beaches voted by BBC where balances sea, sand and forest. Visitors have a chance to enjoy sunny beach, a variety of exciting water games for all ages and art performance show as Water musical, Dolphins Show, Mermaid Show, Street Carnival, etc
Opening time: 9:00 – 21:00 daily
Entrance fee: VND 400.000-500.000 ~ $ 20- 25
Ham Ninh Fishing Village
Located in the northeast of Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc district and famous for stunning natural scenery, peaceful daily life and seafood like ginseng- seaweed, sea-horse soaking in the liquor, etc.
Hon Thom Island
Hon Thom is the largest island in the commune of Hon Thom; consist of 18 islands in the area. Tourists visit here having a chance observe peaceful local life, enjoy a sunset from Hon Thom Beach and snorkeling in a breathtaking beach.
Boat is the only mode of transportation to reach Hon Thom
Note: At present there is no place to stay on Hon Thom Island
Dinh Cau Temple and lighthouse
Ding Cau Temple and lighthouse is considered as a symbol of Phu Quoc Island and Phu Quoc people. It’s far away 200 meters to the west of Duong Dong Town and is one of the most visited attractions of Phu Quoc Island. It is a place for all fishermen pray for property and wealthy worshiping and peace voyage before your trip.
What to do: Overlooking Duong Dong Town on lighthouse, visit Dinh Cau Night Market
Festival: On 15- 16 Oct lunar calendar
No entrance is required
Ganh Dau Beach
Gach Dau Beach located in Gach Dau Village and is one of the best beaches on the island. This beautiful beach is fairly popular with pristine forest and mountain, calm beach.
What to do: Swimming, snorkeling or rent a boat to take a tour along a coast.
Note: No ATM’s at present in Gach Dau Beach
Sao Beach (Star Beach)
Sao Beach located on the southeastern side of Phu Quoc Island and famous for its white and clean beach.
What to do: Kayaking, wind surfers, fishing.
Note: There is no ATM’s at present, but travelers can use a credit card at all the beachfront resorts.
Things to do in Phu Quoc
- Get experience in Phu Quoc Night market
- Visiting fish sauce factory
- Discover pristine beauty by motorbike: visit local village, unique and abandoned beach
- Join outside activities: Hiking, scuba diving, fishing, trekking, and snorkeling.
- Goi Ca Mai- Herring Salad: is raw seafood salad with a platter of accompany vegetable and sauce and mixed with lime juice, coconut, chopped onion and served with traditional rice paper rolls and fresh herbs
A restaurant at Kem Beach or Duong Dong Town is the best place to try herring salad.
- Sea urchin (Nhum): is one of famous seafood in Phu Quoc Island has yellow meat which bold flavor of sea
- Phu Quoc Sea Cucumber: there are 2 types of Sea Cucumbers: White Sea Cucumber and Black Sea Cucumber. It is natural fungus has a short life cycle, so. rarely seen in the market. This is a luxury food and a valuable medicine among Vietnamese cuisines
Travelers can try a delicious sea cucumber in An Thoi Town. Price: VND 70.000/ Bowl.
- Phu Quoc Melaleuca Mushroom: don’t forget to enjoy melaleuca mushroom cooked with seafood available as shrimp, squid, and clams in Phu Quoc Island when coming here.
- Banh Tet Phu Quoc- Tet Cake: Tet cake in Phu Quoc is fairly different from other cakes in other regions in Vietnam by cake covering- Cat Mat leaves
Tourist can find the best Tet cake in Duong Dong Market or Night Market Phu Quoc
- Sim Wine: a type of wine in Phu Quoc Island made from liquefied sim fruit mixed in with rice wine. And sour taste similar to cocktails,
The wine is suitable for people of all ages
The price: VND 120.000- VDN 200.000/ $ 6-10 depending on quality and brand
Where to buy: Bay Gao Store at 124, 30/4 Street, Duong Dong Town
- Phu Quoc Pepper- known as the best pepper of Vietnam: have three kind of pepper: black pepper, red pepper and white pepper and famous of its spice and hot, especially red pepper.
- Phu quoc fish sauce: is famous around the world because of its special delicious, pure, tasty and nutritious flavor made from anchovy- a special fish in Phu Quoc Island and then bury sauce underground 2, 3 years for medical treatment.
- Phu Quoc Pearls: Don’t forget buy for own and your family beatify pearls when visiting Phu Quoc.
Price: depending on its precious, colors and sizes
Travelers can find and buy the best quality and price pearls in Quốc An, Ngọc Hiền
Further reading about what and where you should eat in Phu Quoc Island